Monday, July 12, 2010

Vasteras Sweden - Biggest American Classic Car Festival in the World

Hello Everyone.  Nate here. I know what you are thinking. "Why is Nathan writing on this blog?...and where is Mandy?"   Mandy is back in the states for a couple of weeks shopping for her store.  She left me strict instructions to write of my travels when she is off providing for our family. :) 

This past week, I journeyed to Vasteras, Sweden for some business and pleasure.

Before we get to the pleasure part of the trip, I would like to share with you a little about Vasteras. Vasteras is located about 60 miles (100 km) northwest of Stockholm.  Vasteras is one of the oldest cities in Sweden and Northern Europe. The name originates from Västra Aros, which refers to the estuary of the river Svartån. The area has been populated since the Nordic Viking Age (before 1000 AD). Västerås is predominantly known as an industrial city. The town is currently the sixth largest city in Sweden with approximately 136,000 inhabitants.

During my visit I had the opportunity to capture a very creative hotel.  Approximately 5 minute walk from my office, in the main city center park, exists Hotel Hackspett (or in English Hotel Woodpecker). This hotel is a little different then most as it is situated 40 feet up in an old oak tree. It was built in 1998 and renovated in 2006. No damage to the tree was done when they built this cottage, no nails - it is suspended by very powerful steel wires. Yes, it does has both a kitchen and a toilet up there too, so you don’t have to worry about getting down the rope ladder in a hurry!   Personally, I think the hotel has a rather reasonable room rate if you consider the experience of a lifetime: 1000 SEK (150 Dollar / 100 Euro), 1250 SEK with breakfast and 1500 SEK with breakfast and dinner. It can only be booked between 1 April - 31 October since it does not have any electricity or heat (other from yourself!). I am planning to head back to Vasteras at the end of August and will see if I can wrap up my trip with a 1 night experience in the WoodPecker. Stay Tuned....


Hotel Woodpecker

The Swedes definately have a passion for American classic cars. Vasteras is home to the annual "Power Big Meet" festival.  This year it happened to take place during my visit (imagine that!).  Power Big Meet has to be the biggest American car show in the world.  The event started in 1978 with 400 visitors and 80 cars. This year (32 years later), there were over 15,000 classic cars that participated in the event.


Wow...That is alot of cars.  I wonder how this compares to Woodstock back in the late 60s.

I have never seen such an amazing event in all my life.   I think this video does a very good job of summarizing the event.


Below are a couple of additional pictures that I liked.




Check out the American & Rebel flags.  Made me feel that I was back in my home land.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails