Friday, August 21, 2009

Wollishofen Park

Wednesday night we went out for another BBQ to Wollishofen Park -what a great little place! Nathan had been here before with friends while I was in the States but it was a first for me. We met some friends from our glocals group. I was most impressed b/c they had "Public" grills. And not the typical U.S. kind where there is a grill and you provide the charcoal - no GAS grills. In the park. For FREE! Pretty cool:)

However these grills provided American joke number 1 for the evening. I was commenting on how we don't have these grills in a public park any where in the U.S. - at least not that I know of. And this German guy - out of know where- goes "Well that's probably b/c if someone didn't cook their food properly on it and got food poisoning they would probably sue the city - and win." WOW! So THAT is the reputation we americans have - nice!

Which leads to American joke number 2. So while I was grilling I started talking to this guy from Venezuela. He asked where I was from and I said North Carolina. He said "Oh yeah - I know where that is. That's the state with the really dumb Miss America contestant - right?" Um HELLO - that was South Carolina - okkaaaaaaay! (If you haven't seen the video or have no idea what I'm talking about click here.) Geez - one of the first people that I meet that isn't like "Oh are you from NYC, LA, MIAMI, or VEGAS? Then I don't know where that is:)" And this is the CRAP I get! South Carolina? Really? (Sorry Erin:))

Tomorrow we are headed to Zermatt to take the Glacier Express - an 8 hour train ride across Switzerland form Zermatt to St. Moritz. I am very excited since it has been written up in lots of travel books including - 1001 Things to Do Before You Die. Check! Only 1000 more things to do:)!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails